Monday, September 26, 2011

Nathans Olympic Race Report

At last, there was a local race that I was able to compete in.  I was injured during the Spring and could not race, so it gave me an opportunity to volunteer for several races, but now it was my time to race and I could not wait.  Consequently, I didn't sleep well the night before - although, I don't usually sleep well the night before any race.  I finally got up at 4 am and started going through my bag and making a mental checklist of all the things I had versus what I needed.  As usual, there is always something I forget - this time, it was my bike computer.  Grabbed that and put it in my bag, had some breakfast - nutrition was not a big concern for this race, so I won't dwell on that - then I scrolled through some social media and was out the door by 4:50 am.

As I was walking down to transition all I kept saying to myself was how great this part of the race was.  I love walking to transition and feeling the vibes and the nervous energy, hearing the RD on the loud speaker directing traffic to body markings and where to get your timing chips.  Listening to conversations around transition is great as well - most involve someone giving advice (good or bad) to another athlete and people running into others they probably haven't seen since the last race.  It was time for me to pump up the tires and go for a quick job to get the blood flowing and break a little sweat. When I returned I heard a person behind talking about having a flat as she arrived this morning.  Someone was there to help and I heard them mention they had 650 wheels.  As it happens, I too, have 650's and I happened to have a spare tube in my bag so I offered it up so she could get on with her morning and I could get some good 'mojo' for the day - mission accomplished!

Swim: 26:56 (in a group of 4 that was 3rd out of the water in our AG)
This was a nonwetsuit swim - water temperature was 81 degrees. So, I had a TYR speedsuit that I had only worn one other time and thought today would be a good time to use it again.  I'm not sure how much it helps but if the PRO's use them at KONA then I thought I would use it here. The swim starts out heading east, right into the sun, but I was able to see the bouy's enough to hold the line to the left hand turn and then head back towards the finish.  After the first 150 meters I had clear water throughout the entire swim.  I didn't see anyone on either side of me.  There was a pack of 5 or more that got away early and I never was able to get near them.  As I got out of the water, I had help from Frank Sole stripping my speedsuit off - minor issues at my ankles - but I then noticed that 3 other guys (John Dean, Dan Cadriel and Brian Kochert) all were just coming out of the water behind me and all in my AG.  I think they were drafting me the whole way and I didn't even get a 'thank you' when we got out... The nerve?! 
In and out of T1 without difficulty.  Shoes on, glasses, helmet and race belt and we're off. 

Bike:  1:04:56 (7th in AG)
So this is the part of my game that always needs work.  While I have been concentrating on it more lately on my solo rides, it still has a ways to go.  This course has four 180 degree turnarounds and maybe 7 or so 90 degree turns so it is difficult to get speed up and hold it as there is always a turn coming up to be aware of.  The upside of a course like this is that you have a chance to see people you know all over the course and you get to see your competition and know how far ahead or behind you are.  On the first lap there were a lot of the Sprint athletes on the course so it was a bit crowded as you come to the turnarounds, you have to be careful because you never know what someone else is going to do.  My goal here was to ride under 1:05 and I was able to do that - by 4 seconds! 
I knew Dan left transition about 10 seconds ahead of me so I wanted to keep my eye on him and use him as  a pacer if I could.  But no luck, he left transition in a hurry and I never saw him after the first couple of miles.  I would see him later at a couple of the turn arounds.  Next up, Erik Svans comes up behind me at about the 4th or 5th mile - he started in the wave 3 minutes behind me (didn't take him long to make that up)!! I knew I wasn't going to be able to use him as a pacer so I was on my own out there.  I was keeping a close eye on my computer and trying to maintain steady wattage and be sure my effort was constant.  I didn't want to fade late in the ride and lose my legs for the run.  On the upside I was probably only passed by 4 or 5 riders, all who were the uber bikers from the wave after mine.  The bike was pretty uneventful actually, no close calls so that is nice!
Into T2 - Helmet off, running shoes on and I'm off. I did manage to drop the one GU pack I attempted to drop into my back pocket but missed - had to go back and grab it.  It was here that I almost ran right into John Dean as he was coming into T2 with his bike.

Run: 41:27
This is two loops around Tempe Town Lake.  There were lots of volunteers on the course to make sure you don't miss a turn.  I was always sure to thank them as I ran by.  The sun was coming out and it was getting hot - they didn't have to be there!!  Thank a volunteer ... Always!   As I run out of T2 Russ Brandt runs up beside me starring at me because I didn't notice him at first.  Fortunately, he isn't in my AG but he is a good runner and I was going to try and hang on to as long as I could.  He got about 10-15 yards in front of me for the first mile - which we crossed at 6:45/mile.  I knew he could run faster than me, so I was waiting for him to kick it in.  As the Folts twins passed us just after the Mill Ave bridge I told him to go get them - turns out he was losing it.  Probably two IM's this summer was taking its toll on him.  He said he didn't have it and shortly there after he faded and I had to find someone else to chase.  I ran a conservative first 5K and although I didn't pay close attention to my watch I am sure I negative split the run.  However, as far as placing in my AG, I never saw Dan Cadriel on the run so I was sure he was over 1:30 ahead of me when I headed out on the run - so there wasn't any chance I was going to catch him, unless he fell down and cut his chin again?! :)  He did this at Deuceman last year, so there is always that chance I guess. ;) (just kidding Dan). If not, I wasn't passed by anyone in my AG on the run so I thought I might have a chance to podium when we finished. 
The results were posted before we left and I ended up achieving a couple of the goals I had set for myself - one was to bike under 1:05 and the other was to get on the podium.  Second place in my AG, behind Dan.  All in all, it was a good day.  There was lots of support - first of all from my #1 fans (my wife and kids) whom I was able to spot a few times on the course, and then ONE Multisport was there in force!  ONE also had lots of people on the podium this weekend.  Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment